Friday, March 25, 2005

Reva Rasmussen: When the GOP wanted less intrusion and the Democrats had spine

http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/story.php?template=print_a&story=5307755

In Minnesota the Republicans may be questioning "Dear Leader," but here in Podunk the preacher is calling on the flock to surrender to God's authority in the White House.

The average IQ of Minnesotans, I'm just guessing here, is about 30 points higher than that of our native Pineywoodsmen.

To paraphrase Handel's Messiah, 'And the U.S. federal government of the earth has become the Kingdom of Our Lord.'

I never thought I would witness the merger of church and state and certainly never thought the Southern Baptists would be in control of the U.S. government. But now that I am witnessing it, I marvel at the wisdom of our founders in wanting to maintain a healthy distance between religion and politics.

You can read about the hundred years' war fought over religious differences on the European continent several centuries ago, but there's nothing like actually seeing a new hundred years' war unfold where you live. I wish I'd never had to see this, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home