Sunday, May 22, 2005

Unexpected repair

For at least a year, I have had a TEAC DC-D2831 Digital Compact Hi-Fi System in my bedroom which I thought had died. Its light-emitting diode still glowed, but it didn't seem to be on. I couldn't produce any decibels from it no matter which button I pushed.

I had pulled the plug on it last summer. Today I plugged it back in and it still seemingly didn't work. I really wasn't surprised since I ordered it as a factory refurbished unit from the Heartland catalog.

I went to the TEAC America consumer electronics site to see where the closest authorized service center was. It's 160 miles away in Waco. Damn, I thought. This unit is just going to sit here in disrepair until Jesus comes to heal it.

As a last resort, I then took a No. 2 pencil and pushed a button called "Reset" on the back of the unit.

"Viola!" as the female county agent here used to spell the French term roughly synonymous with proclaiming "Eureka!"

For the last two hours I have been listening to a CD of the greatest hits of "Spanky and Our Gang" and a greatest hits cassette of The Cowsills. The unit even has an old-fashioned vinyl record turntable on top.

I suppose Jesus just wanted me to hit "Reset." I live one day at a time and it's a good idea to hit "Reset" first thing in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home